PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wannabe ATCO - academic worries
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2003, 14:02
DrKaos

I think that following this thread, a very important point needs to be raised. Sure, reaching the required standard for NATS aptitude tests is no mean feat. And being offered a place at CATC is also another achievement. But the college is just the start of your ATC career.

The college, for all it's strengths and faults (which you may have picked up on in various discussions) teaches you 'ab-initio' ATC. It introduces you to various aspects of Aviation, Met, Aircraft Performance as well as the actual controlling of traffic. At some point, you will have to decide which 'discipline' (I'm sure I can hear some laughing at that word......) you want to go into, being Approach or Area. You then continue in your choice, being trained in that side of ATC until you (hopefully successful) completion.

But wait, there is more!!! On posting to your unit, the study begins again. To achieve final validation, you will be required to have a very un-natural relationship with the Unit's MATS Part 2, which contains the operating procedures specific for the unit. And the stuff you learned in the college (well, some of it!) can't just be dumped from the brain either.

This all sounds like doom and gloom if study isn't your thing. But if you have an interest in aviation, or a burning desire to be an ATCO, then go for it. The interest in aviation factor can really help you in the college (as opposed to school when I'm sure everybody at one time or another has said 'When am I gonna use this?'). And the best of luck!!!!!