PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2012, 23:34
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
act together as a multi (or dispersed) hub.
Airports are not vitamins! You need to distinguish not just between the concept of a "multi airport city" (of which London is a prime example), or even a "multi" (or really just dual) hub city (of which London is not - New York and Moscow are a couple of examples) and the concept of a single hub city that also has other airport.

To translate that verbage back into English:

A - A - A = lots of airports, point to point service, not connected. Remember - you can take "connecting" flights at Stansted, but even if you transfer Ryan to Ryan, they are still two entirely separate travel contracts, and there is no liability or through checking of luggage, implied or otherwise between them.

H - H - a city with two hubs. This is rare, but it does happen. However, like above, these hubs still operate as SEPARATE entities - connections between carriers are few and far between.

H=H - two hubs, connected seamlessly airside. Well actually, that doesn't exist anywhere. For all the good reasons mentioned above.

Now even if you have a BA-BA flight into LHR, out from LGW & vv, you still have to make your OWN way between the two, landside, and with luggage.

So why would an operation at NHT work any differently to this, when all that is being proposed is a Heathwick version 2, dismissed as bonkers by anyone who knows the industry.

So far there has been no evidence presented which shows the use of NHT as a small-scale airport to take some of the smaller aircraft (like CRJs/Fokkers/Embraers/ATRs/RJs) which currently use LHR - it doesn't even need to be point to point - to be an impossibility.
Err, evidence based reasoning doesn't work that way.

My real name is Herzog Bladdermeister. I assure you it is true because none of you have put forward any evidence to say it isn't. So I am right, so there, good night.

Perhaps you should start thinking outside the box
That's a lazy expression.
That isn't a very blue sky, solutions oriented, dynamically persuaded, paradigm shifting response. Maybe we should touch base some time and hook up some out of the box methodologies to connect with the upcoming realities of the transportational logistics marketplace?

LCY is a "small regional airport" despite being in the middle of London.
I wouldn't call LCY "regional". I would call it a niche commuter airport, aimed primarily at the business market. The whole point of regional airports is that they server the regions, ie not the capital or largest city/cities.

However, in terms of the thin destinations NHT would serve as a ptp facility, then it could still be described as "regional".