PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 9
Thread: Ryanair - 9
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2012, 20:58
BKS Air Transport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just reading an article in today's Daily Mail, in which it reports that MOL's long term aim is to bulid up to carrying 20% of European traffic. One of the ways he intends to reach this figure is by taking passengers from legacy carriers and their 'expensive' 'loss making' short haul routes.

I have no problem with this strategy, but I know many people who have never flown on Ryanair, and flatly refuse to do so, because they fear being ripped off in the booking process and/or poor service. This all comes from the things people read about in the papers, and the sort of statements that MOL and his senior management are prone to come out with.

Cultivating an image as the 'nasty' airline (intentionally or otherwise) is hardly the right strategy to win passengers over from legacy carriers. They are effectively alienating a sizeable group of potential passengers.

This is a shame, as I have travelled with Ryanair a number of times, and they have delivered me and my baggage to my destination on time, without fail, at a very good cost, and with perfectly reasonable on-board service from pleasant crews. I can't say this of some of my other airline experiences.

I feel MOL and his colleagues need to think more carefully about the things they say, stop shooting themselves in the foot, and start emphasising the things that they do well. Otherwise I can't see their target as being achievable.

Last edited by BKS Air Transport; 6th Nov 2012 at 21:40.