PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Future Pilot Programme (FPP)
Old 6th Nov 2012, 20:16
Politely_amused

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flap, I think its good to hear you standing up for this program - as you say it's probably as close to sponsorship as you'll get. Particularly given the slating the Cathay Second Officer program has had! To the uninitiated (i.e. - me) the Bond clauses just seem a little daunting, but as you say they certainly lay them out clearly and guys are going into it knowing how it works.

I agree, the 'trained military pilot exclusion' is slightly odd as I (and a few others I can think of) would have seriously looked at applying. Having said that I wonder if it possibly would not have made financial sense to commit to a sizeable bond for those with a level of flying experience.

However, my issue personally will be a lack of F/W time. I have 1,900 hours helis with a lot of varied operational and environmental experience. Despite this, if I go for the F/W route clearly I will need to do my exams, hours build and gain my CPL and ME IR. Certainly achievable - although it would be much easier (and cheaper) staying on helis!

Anyway, may I ask though, my assumption is it will then by key to build my experience and time with a smaller airline for 2-3 years - if I am lucky enough to be hired in a tough market of course. This would then (I hope!) put me in a position to apply to the larger airlines and long haul which is certainly where I would aspire to.

Whilst this sounds a fairly well-trodden path, is the perception within the industry that this is still the way to go? I assume the larger more revered long-haul airlines such as BA simply wouldn't even look at you until you have 1,500 hours plus of jet time regardless of any other experience?

All guidance gratefully received...