PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 6th Nov 2012, 20:04
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Balance not the issue.

JetA # 691- Not saying Pelair should have kept their AOC, but comparing to Airtex isn't that accurate.
Fair comment and worth a few lines:-

1) I have no quarrel whatsoever with PA continuing to operate, in fact I applaud the CASA and the company for working together to resolve the issues. This is 'best practice' and to be encouraged. I believe it's the best, indeed the only way to achieve operational safety and legal compliance. That's what both the SAAB and Metro operations clearly demonstrate and well done.

But you'll own that the 'jet operation' was well dodgy and beyond the skill set and experience of the CP, see audit page 39 ish (even CASA agree). A 1000 page COM does not equate to a 'sound' operation, it reflects a CP groping about, trying to come to terms with and micro manage an operation not clearly understood, while the essentials (20.11, CRM, Fuel) etc. are missed.

2) After the "Botany Bay" fatal, CASA, rightfully went through Airtex like the proverbial. The RCA were issued and serious conditions were placed on the AOC. Airtex and the management went through a huge transition period; and, to paraphrase the then CASA manager 'good job all round and a great result for air safety'. (Don't have the "actual" handy). That company worked hard. All independently audited and approved to IOSA standards by a leading ICAO audit company, by CASA and due to go "BARS" green at the next independent audit.

Consider, in early 2010 there were preparations to release the third revision of the COM, IOSA audit results were 'first class', AOC conditions removed over the preceding 12 months, AOC reissued for three years, Safety Management System written with expert help, rough but ready for CASA scrutiny and guidance. Looking good.

It is from that point my analysis starts and it is not a pretty picture. The picture becomes really ugly once the RCA and AAT transcripts are analysed. Not my battle, not my dog; but, 40 folk unemployed and a business closed down requires some serious examination of motive, facts and probity. Especially probity, consider this: CASA legal abandoned entirely the evidence of one FOI in the AAT, not court mind you, as untenable. The FOI "returned to industry" shortly thereafter. Start from there and work backwards. It's as an ugly a story as you'll ever hear.

PS. Canley Vale was a Sky Master fatal, very different operation, different animal entirely, just happened to be owned by the same bloke. I am really looking forward to the ATSB report on that one. There is a lot of industry knowledge on the event, should be fun to repeat the Pel Air debacle all over again.

Last edited by Kharon; 6th Nov 2012 at 20:22.