PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VB cutting corners on safety?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2003, 13:41
Winstun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, I'm not apathetic nor a cowboy. Pilots DO have the qualifications to assess aircraft airworthiness. Happens everyday in the US with several thousand airliners. Why do pilots do a walkaround, if not? To strech their legs? I'm not inplying you don't need LAMEs. Pilots DO NOT have the qualifications to rectify any discrepencies (unless MEL specified/allowed). Big difference. You notice a hydaulic leak, you call a LAME. One not available at port, you phone a LAME and get advice. Still concerned, you don't fly. Satisfied and within MEL limits, of course you write it up. Aircraft can be released without a LAME signature per MEL relief. I respect the technical/engineering knowledge/experience of LAMEs in relation to pilots. However their job is to maintain/repair aircraft, not to preflight. That can be done safely by the pilot. Sure you can say, it's safer with a LAME. You can say it's safer done by a LAME with 20 years experience more than another with only a few years experience, etc, etc. During pushback, you don't need to be a LAME to make sure aircraft does not hit / ingest anything, etc. It really ain't that hard. Re the 767 F/E, do you know something Boeing and every other 767 operator in the world don't? Please tell.

Last edited by Winstun; 23rd Jan 2003 at 13:51.