PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 6th Nov 2012, 14:44
Iver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Karioca,

Congrats on getting your DOJ - that is good news. I am not a QR pilot, but I agree it is a personal choice that has many pros/cons to consider. Some questions that I would be asking myself:

- Do you wish to continue flying VIPs or would you be happy flying airline passengers? The lifestyles are very different.

- Would you be happier living in Russia or in the Middle East? Very different weather, cultures, daily flight destinations, etc.

- Does your current job provide job security or upward mobility? Or will you continue to sit in your CRJ for the forseeable future? No airline these days provides much job security - but Qatar's economy appears to be growing.

- Do you have family support for a move to the Middle East? If you have family who would accompany you, I would get their buy-in as well because they will remain there while you are flying around the region.

- Lastly, as an A320 pilot at QR, the flying schedule appears to be quite rigorous (actually on all fleets). Are you OK with that amount of work per month? See previous threads talking about the typical hours flown per month - very rigorous to say the least - and that should be a consideration.

With the 787s and A350s coming in the next few years, there should be great upward mobility at QR. Starting on the A320 fleet does not mean you will stay there - you could easily find yourself in a 787 or A330 or even an A350 in a few years. If you are a fan of technology, QR certainly will provide the most advanced equipment in the industry. Certainly more high tech than the CRJ you are currently flying. That said, QOL, family support and the desire to live in a different culture should be your overarching considerations.

Good luck!

Last edited by Iver; 6th Nov 2012 at 14:46.