PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 9
Thread: Ryanair - 9
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2012, 10:14
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"And what are the dimensions of the 'Ryanair official cabin bag' they sell you online?"

Smaller than standard ICAO, which is a real pain if travelling one way with another carrier, e.g. ez who use the ICAO size, and then RYR or some other non-standard carrier on any other leg. They all use the same a/c; bins are the same size. Why make life difficult? But that is a very open question with very long and varied answers.

And remember, airlines both LOCo & charter, make a big splash about being able to take 10kgs (ez even more) on board FOR FREE. It has always been the case and forever always will be. Are you going to discriminate between a man with an umbrella, or nothing? and lady with normal hand-bag? a duty free bag? even a pile of magazines under your arm or heaven forbid in a plastic bag? And don't even start to think about a mother with all the baby stuff. Obviously some carriers are starting to have the philosophy that they provide a ticket for transport on 1 person between A & B. AND NOTHING ELSE. Anything outside this contractual envelope is chargeable.

Could this size be anything to do with the fact that even with RYR's smaller size they can not fit more than about 140 in the cabin bins? They imposed a rule, but if everyone obeys it and carries their own bag, some will have to go in the hold anyway; for free. Good game.

Interesting article in Daily T's travel section about beating travel costs. It is often cheaper to take the servant with you on a trip, (extra pax ticket) to use their extra baggage allowance than pay for an extra bag. How stupid is that?You can buy a seat for a musical instrument, i.e only 1 pax travelling, but effectively an extra piece of baggage in the seat, but if you purchase the seat only, no musical instrument, you can't take the baggage allowance? It is classified as a no-show. And if you do purchase a seat for the musical instrument you don't get an extra baggage allowance as well. I'm sure the legal boys would have a field day with those conundrums.

Bring on the strap-hanging pax with no bins at all.

Last edited by RAT 5; 6th Nov 2012 at 10:26.