PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EGNOS approaches in Europe
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2012, 09:57
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess the drive for LPV isn't all that big in europe as most if not all airlines are unable to use it. However, they can use RNP AR or GLS approaches. That means there is not all that much money behind people promoting those kind of approaches.

That said, we do have a chart for the RNAV (GNSS) 10 in Altenrhein in our documentation which does not show LPV minima, the lowest usable for us would be 2060ft for a class C aircraft. However that wouldn't be used normally as the ILS allows us to use a lower minimum of 1810ft. So, do we need an LPV approach? Not really, as there is a conventional precision approach.

LPV is an excellent tool for smaller airports that are not able to afford the infrastructure of a conventional approach and not the much cheaper infrastructure for a GLS approach which would offer true precision approach minima and in the future low vis capability. However there are still costs for it and someone needs to cough it up. So if there is no real demand currently airports will rather not spend the money. There might be a business case for some airports if slots becoming difficult to obtain on a nearby major airports to attract more GA traffic, and EDMA would certainly fit into that category. If there is demand for approaches like already i guess airports and legislators are either already working on it or have already published approaches. The current picture however is a picture of where and how big the demand is.

Last edited by Denti; 6th Nov 2012 at 09:58.