PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nigerian Governor crashes plane
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2012, 08:17
capt767

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yola night ops

Sadly it's true that crew head into Yola at night knowing fully well the kind of problems that exist there.

Flew into Yola as a passenger in 2006. Few seconds after touchdown, all runway lights went off..as well as part of the airport lights (power outage I presume). Few years later, flew in there again with the "largest airline in Nigeria". The flight from Lagos to Yola via Abuja usually landed at night (on some occasions in really nasty weather/visibility). The icing on the cake was the one flight I was on that had been delayed 4 hours in Lagos and still pushed on to Yola knowing fully well this airport had problems with the lights at night. Get to Yola and the captain sees no runway lights, elects to return to Abuja....arrives in Abuja and tells the passengers "the lights in Yola are back on, we're heading back". This flight was already 4 hours overdue and if my memory serves me well, we arrived back in Abuja at 11:15 pm. Not much of a shocker considering the way the airline operates at times. Needless to say there were passengers yelling at the top of their voices...can't blame them.

P.S To the best of my knowledge, Yola airport is the first airport in Nigeria. You'd think it'd at least get a decent makeover considering the increased passenger traffic there in recent years. The state of the airport as of the last time I was there in 2011 is an apology....but then again I've been told there are worse around the country.