PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turbofan/prop/UDF efficiency
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2012, 14:41
peter kent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
misunderstanding, see PS

The core is just as inefficient as it's always been (it's still a simple turbojet in the middle
You seem to give the propulsive efficiency a 5 star rating while the gas generator efficiency barely gets 1 star above.

The 2 efficiences go hand in hand as continual improvements in both have brought about an ever declining sfc since the day after the first jet entered service.

There's a lot of intense stuff going on in a GE90-style gas gen in terms of temperature and pressure at levels far beyond those in an inefficient machine of a bygone era. Those levels are not for nought. They are required to meet the power absorption demanded by that size of fan.

The pressure ratio and turbine temperature are only 2 of the things that go into defining the gas gen efficiency. So its improvements in all those factors which mean an old turbojet core just doesn't get a look in any more for any application.

PS On reflection I think I have just got Adam's meaning, ie not that the core is inefficient, but that todays core, if used in a turbojet at subsonic speeds would have an inefficient propulsive eff despite a much-improved core eff. Silly me and apologies to Adam.

I guess my post really deserves deleting but I'll leave it in case anyone else misread the original.

Last edited by peter kent; 7th Nov 2012 at 01:02. Reason: PS