PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another 380 AOG in NRT
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2012, 10:58
Pitch Up Authority

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HI Ex 380,

I repeat, it is not because it is an Airbus that the general principles of high energy approaches is any different then on a Boeing.

The use of MAX autobrake is a big nono unless you select a lower mode during the landing run in order to use the full runway length. This technique is clearly mentioned in the training manual of any Boeing type. Now if Airbus obeys different laws of physics I do not see why this would not apply to an A380.

Flap assym is not a big deal, not even on a WB. No need to blow any tires if you have reverses and dumping available.

But it looks like the design of the A380 fuel dumping system is falling short. It looks like the A380 is unable to land at hot and high airports with that kind of design. If this is the case then once more the B747-400 is much better since you can dump all the way down to 13 tons from all 8 fuel tanks.

Tyre fuse plugs are there to prevent any damage caused by exploding tyres, except for an aborted TO you should never get into a situation like this.

The handling of the situation by the crew was poor and will cost EK a handful of money. If I was the GMFO I would fire them immediately.

Last edited by Pitch Up Authority; 5th Nov 2012 at 11:04.