PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Early Stages - Considering a change in career?
Old 5th Nov 2012, 10:08
taxistaxing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get your ATPL(f) - cost between £60k - £100kGet your type rating - cost approx £15k - £20kTotal Spend to date before you have a job offer - £75k - £120kApply for a job (do you have a preference for a particular airline?)
You can get to fATPL for a bit less. £45k - £50k is do-able at a modular school, plus TR (which might be £10k for a prop operator to £30kish for RYR). Obviously job options are somewhat limited at the moment as RYR is the only airline actively recruiting for cadets with a modular background.

I totally agree it's a difficult decision to make. My take is if you have another career it makes sense to keep this going (i.e. do the modular route) so that a. you have a fallback, and b. can fund the training/TR in the future!

The quickest way in (if you have the funds and can pass selection) is a tagged integrated scheme. You really need to decide on your route after your PPL as some schemes specify an hours or experience limit. The BAA FPP is an example of this as you're ineligible for it if you have sat any of the EASA/JAA ATPL exams.

Last edited by taxistaxing; 5th Nov 2012 at 16:18.