PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Legal Responsibility of Pilot in Command. Thoughtful article
Old 4th Nov 2012, 21:41
Lookleft

Received 211 Likes on 100 Posts
Interesting that the same blog has been praised for its raising of the issues in the past but when it raises an issue that is contrary to a certain way of thinking then it is clearly out of step with modern thinking. Given the author's CV I don't think he can be accused of being an amateur in the field of aviation.

There are two issues surrounding this Norfolk incident. One is the pursuit of why the ATSB released a report that did not cover organisational issues and human factors that previously had been investigated to great depth. On that score K and S have been tag teaming very effectively.

Lets not ignore though the issue of PIC and F/O responsibilities when commencing a flight. The impression I get from the particular PIC is he is seeking exoneration for what happened. The F/O has been MIA and could contribute a lot to the discussion about why as a crew the situation developed.

Lets not develop a culture amongst the pilot fraternity that it doesn't matter what happens its ultimately the organisation and regulator that are to blame and that you as PIC are a victim of the machine. The thinking that needs to be developed is just as awareness of human factors can help you stay out of trouble so can an awareness of the deficiencies of an organisational culture and the ineffectiveness of the regulator prepare you better for taking on the role of PIC. Too many pilots now consider the role of PIC to be just sitting in the LHS. I see that in my work place where after 2-4 years of flying a jet they demand their spot in the LHS because it pays more. No discussion about what it really means, no discussion about why certain decisions were made, no discussions about what the ops manual says and how it is applied.

The discussion on the responsibility of the PIC is valid in terms of educating pilots of all levels just what legal and moral expections rest on his/her shoulders. The pursuit of why the regulator allowed an operator like Pelair to conduct jet operations with inadequate safe guards and why the ATSB produced a sub-standard report should be continued with vigour.

Lets hope that everyone from the relevant agencies. the operators and the "last line of defense" aka the PIC's and crew members learn from this and lift their standard of professionalism and integrity.

Last edited by Lookleft; 4th Nov 2012 at 21:42.