PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea heli ditching: Oct 2012
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2012, 20:18
Peter PanPan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EMLUB

@albatross: Not sure I am following you on the "The 225 EMLUBE system was, I believe, designed only to deal with a loss of transmission oil not the loss of 2 oil pumps."

The 225 EMLUB system was precisely designed to cope with a complete loss of lubrication, i.e. failure of both Main & Standby pumps.

Proper indication of a functioning EMLUB as you call it would be the absence of any light - Black Panel - And yes according to the Manufacturers ECL "Land as soon as possible - Maximum flight time 30 minutes"

About your edited thought: Again not sure what you mean by "would the crew still have an accurate transmission temperature?" since the Oil temperature switch sits at the bottom of the MGB case, immersed in oil and measuring the oil temperature. Remember the S-92 Cougar crash report, the crew expected an increase in oil temperature associated with a loss of oil, which led the pilots to incorrectly rely on MGB oil temperature as a secondary indication of an impending MGB failure. So regardless of your oil temperature being below 128 degrees following a failure of the EMLUB system, the ECL states explicitly what to do.