PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circuit pattern on an aircraft carrier
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2012, 12:30
Lordflasheart

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Orca – and BOAC quote ..........
Originally Posted by orca
If you chaps can think of a way to get a 40 plus thousand pound machine out of the wires and clear of the LA in 15 seconds I'm all ears

The machines didn't cost quite as much as £40k, in the days of the 15 second interval.

Spaz - That stuff of yours is fascinating – especially the T-45 pattern. I wonder how they guarantee picking up the "sight" - The rule of maintaining circuit height until you were on the "sight" - meant flying level round finals 400/450ft - intercepting the correct approach slope from below - VSI 500 fpm at the ninety – unless you were on the sight ? No thank you. With that RoD you might always be below .... still going on down.

The leapfrog - A common leapfrog for RN Carriers for peacetime training ops might have been " six on four" With serviceability as it was, by the end of the day you might be down to a limping three on two. I saw an apparently typical flypro posted on Saratoga's noticeboard during a Med cruise early sixties - their leapfrog was twenty-six on sixteen. Mind you they did have more than us to start with. I think they call that – "The ability to project power."

I have no idea what the desired landing interval needed to be, to recover twenty-six in one go, or whether they had some other scheme. The ship was anchored haf a mile off the beach at Canz Frantz that week, so we didn't actually see any flying. But they had A-3s armed up, on permanent deck alert all week while at anchor. LFH