PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 13th Month.............Any bets ??
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2012, 03:57
Liam Gallagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thirteenth month is normally announced in early December, about 5 weeks from now. A few things to consider,

1. Whilst not wishing to reignite the debate about the last pay deal, it is worth remembering that under that deal, this year is the first year 13th month would include 84 hrs HDP. For many, this actually represented a fair "chunk" of that pay deal, so if 13th month is not paid the "value" of that pay deal is disminished markedly.

2. The 13th is also p-fundable.

Reading nearly every communication from the company, expectations are being managed, and should 13th month not be paid it would be worth asking yourself some questions prior to May 2013, being the date the embargo on taking action over pay expires. HK pilots need to ask themselves;

1. When was the last time I had a meaningful pay review?

2. How has my pay movement compared to other Level D employees or indeed senior management figures, particularly we take into account the years 13th months was not paid (or capped) and the haphazard nature of profit share. Management bonuses and senior management incentives seem less haphazard?

3. When I factor out HDP, 13th month, profit share, how much of my total salary package is actually guaranteed, and how much can be "removed" by the company when they deem times are "marginal" or ill-health strikes?

4. No doubt management will argue now is not the time to be talking about raising costs, however when in the in past 20 years has there ever been a time they would be receptive to talks about pay rises. Is their argument not becoming a bit tired when we see the expansion and prosperity not only in CX, but HK generally..... As a yardstick, has your pay kept pace with your perceived ability to buy in mid-levels?

Food for thought.........