PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian Malaga Roster and new bases
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2012, 22:59
spanner the cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dannyalliga

You're missing the point of my post. Brussels have set up things so that SI is paid to the country you're based in. As always, they seem to do things in the most perverse of ways. Remove the emotive RYR contractor stuff (I don't work for them - for the record). Consider the pilots employed (full-time) by DHL UK in LEJ. They now have to pay their SI in Germany. If they haven't moved families out to Leipzig and they lose their job, where do they claim their benefits? Prior to this ruling it was simple. Bog off back to UK, where you've paid in, and claim there. If they claim in Germany I believe they're only entitled to claim for 3 months (EU rule) unless actually resident. So if you pay in for quite some time, and not a local you don't get back anywhere near what you put in. Do they have enough SI paid in to receive the enhanced UK pension by paying into the German scheme? I don't know. If they are I bet it won't be straightforward to prove.

I also guess that UK based pilots from other EU countries will be delighted to hear that HMG has thought about rolling National Insurance (UK SI) into general taxation - they don't keep it separate in reality. You won't be paying for your insurance / pension, you'll be paying for chavs to visit you while on their holidays in your home-town, or space rockets in India, or any other item of crackpot spending HMG does.

The stuff about contractors and RYR is something we could probably all say something against. This thread is meant to be about providing information to prospective pilots for Norwegian (probably the next big contractor-based way of undermining industry Ts and Cs). Meanwhile you seem to have hi-jacked it in order to push a pro-EU line about payments of SI which doesn't really help people in their quest to find out how long a spoon to use when supping with this particular devil. Can you not just leave it for a different thread?