PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Funding the whole thing yourself
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2003, 00:06
BMW Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Shipmate,
Spin you a quick dit regarding my situation, if you want to know more drop me a line and i'll give you my e-mail address. In Dec 02 I retired from the Royal Navy having served six years as a Navigating Officer from Minehunter to Aircraft Carrier. The only way I can afford to self-fund is through the sale of property, which is making a lot of money down south. Don't know how old you are (I joined at 24, now 31) but get yourself in the mob, and your CV will glow. As soon as you join up, get yourself a mortgage. The RAF have different rules, but I obtained £8500 from the RN for the purchase of a house, interest free, and repayable over 10 years, peanuts! The authority is called the Triservice Long Service Advance of Pay Centre, Centurion Building, Gosport, check out the RN website for details. The Royal Navy is I believe, phasing out gratuity in favour of non-contributory pension. If you can opt for a gratuity in the RAF after 6 or 8 years service, do it. The RN were paying £25000 cash in hand. Not bad for a few years work. Whilst serving, get your PPL and ATPL exams cracked, as soon as you retire, thunderbirds are go!! If you need a chat mate, drop me a personal message. Yours aye, whistle, whistle, salute etc.