PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norfolk Island Ditching ATSB Report - ?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2012, 14:29
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unbeleivable

Been a bit preoccupied with other things for a while, but a return to this and other subjects aviation suggests it's actually got a whole lot worse, than I could possibly have imagined.

Caught the 4Corners show and thought I must be in a parallel universe and were they discussing the same accident?

And why weren't the FDR CVR recovered. I've recently put another Part 25 aircraft on the Australian register, simply not possible without an FDR even for private ops, when it is only required for charter/rpt in the US. Basically disqualified a significant %age of available private aircraft in the market.

It is a "safety" issue with which I have no truck. We are supposed to or did have the worlds toughest safety standards until the late eighties. This is now shrouded in myth.

FDR is a requirement for type of operations in Australia.

So if Oz has a thing about FDRs for "safety" purposes why was the FDR not recovered, both recorders would have and may still provide some fascinating insights. I have somewhere seen video of the largely intact components of the wreckage, it cant have been that hard to recover the boxes.

Smells to high heaven.
I see/hear echoes of Seaview and Monarch and don't even get me started on Lockhart, this one is IMHO plus ca change.

When I were a lad apart from the regs, there was a thing called CDF

I fear the charge towards proscriptive COMs whilst being a bit like the parsons, egg also strips away and/or gives the pilot a place to hide from actually being personally responsible and liable to exercise CDF. He can get away with plain dumbosity because he is not specifically prevented from doing so.

Last edited by gaunty; 3rd Nov 2012 at 14:34.