PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where can I find a DA42 Flight School in Europe for an IR Renewal?
Old 3rd Nov 2012, 11:35
Cirrus_Clouds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm about to do my IR and am also considering the G1000. I have flown the steam gauges for most of the training only recently converted to the G1000. I personally would go for what ever makes the IR pass easier, plus look beyond the "IR" and ask yourself what do airlines/business jet companies want. They all use screens, MFD, PFD, EFIS, FADEC, so I think you know the answer. If you want to fly in around the bush or on small aircraft for many years, train on steam gauges.

All of our aircraft in our company fleet have G1000 / G500 / G600, with the steam gauges just being looked as an out-of-date thing and they prefer to keep up-to-date with technology - I'm not saying we don't not use them, they are there for backup purposes or other systems.

Go with what ever you prefer but also don't just look at the IR, look beyond it. I know many pilot's who have trained on the DA42 and are flying A320's, B737

As a pilot who flew Citations recently said to me, the G1000 has more technology in it than the Citation he use to fly.

Also to assist the original thread poster, FTE in spain have just bought 8 DA42-VI aircraft, they might be worth looking at for future renewals if you need it.

Last edited by Cirrus_Clouds; 3rd Nov 2012 at 11:42.