PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 10
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2012, 11:34
rudderrudderrat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Clandestino
I have already posted that successful succumbing to somatogravic illusion requires higher levels of acceleration - such as a TOGA kick.
I know you have. What's your source of information, or is it something you just make up?

Please see slide 24 of Operator s Guide to Human Factors in Aviation or somatogravic%20illusion.ppt

"The somatogravic illusion of ‘nose-up’ sensation after takeoff and the erroneous correction of the pilot to push the yoke forward has caused more than a dozen airline crashes

An aircraft accelerating from 170 to 200 knots over a period of 10 seconds just after takeoff, generates +0.16 G on the pilot

The GIA is only 1.01 G

The corresponding sensation is 9 degrees ‘nose up’

When no visual cues are present and the instruments are ignored, an unwary pilot might push the nose down and crash."
According to my maths, accelerating from 170 to 200 kts over 10 seconds is about 3 kts/sec.
The graph of AF 447's ground speed shows a deceleration rate of about 3 kts/second during the climb from FL350 to FL 380

If an acceleration can produce a sensation of 9 degs nose up, why can't a similar deceleration produce a sensation of 9 degs nose down?

Now it is possible that mere deceleration of climb can make the pilot succumb to somatogravic illusion and perpetuate the climb into the stall but anyone proving it will open a whole new chapter of aeromedicine.
See Operators Guide to Human Factors in Aviation.

What difference does it make if they succumbed to this or that illusion anyway?
The difference is it may explain why two qualified pilots made those errors that night.

Last edited by rudderrudderrat; 3rd Nov 2012 at 12:57. Reason: extra link provided