PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shoreham Incident.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2012, 11:33
dublinpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People are completely forgetting about the limitations of unalerted see-and-avoid here. If there was no limitation, we don't need a controller. They are there to help prevent collisions.
Posters here are correct that a pilot in VMC is ultimately responsible for their own separation. However I go back to my original point which is that inappropriate airspace classification, in this case the fact the airspace is "uncontrolled", should not be used as a liability waiver.
Soaring, it's more than just pilots in VMC. All VFR pilots in airspaces C to G provide their own seperation from other VFR traffic. If you think it's inappropriate airspace classification the only two that would provide seperation for VFR/VFR traffic is A or B. The UK don't use B, so that just least A (which EASA is trying to phase out anyway!).

In class C, VFR traffic does get info on other VFR traffic, but no seperation other than from IFR traffic.

It's a long time since I flew in the USA, but from memory I thought it was the same there too?