PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Congratulations AsA - a modern IT wonder.
Old 3rd Nov 2012, 10:57
OpsNormal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aussie Bob, fair dinkum that comment is about the intelligence level of a goose mate. I had a 4 leg plan lodged the evening before we were to be airborne (RPT turboprop) at 0600 local out of a military AD tracking to and within 20 minutes flight time of SY on Friday morning. The same 4 leg plan and call signs that have been lodged literally hundreds (if not thousands) of times previously with ATC in our operation.

After going to bed at a reasonable time for the 0400 wake-up I was contacted by BN ATC at 2300, 0010 and again at 0113 LMT to query info, WPTs and departure times that had been submitted the evening before (not normal procedure but done as our company had been having lost and inactive plan issues the day previous, so one of our senior people popped a few plans in the system at a quiet moment). The issues that were arising were WPTs that wouldn't gel with routes and departure times that would dissappear as they were lodged...

I feel for the poor bloke who rang me each time (as they were trying their best to get it all sorted), however that first three hours sleep I got was the only sleep I ened-up with that night - which makes it difficult to call our OPS and tell them I don't feel rested due to being constantly interrupted.... Certainly wasn't the most alert I've ever been at work.

Let me guess, the Air Services boss and associated managers responsible were all safely tucked-up in bed asleep while the coalface staff were left to make sense of the s#!tfight their masters left them?

Change is good mate, especially when it is thoroughly designed and tested for function and fit first. The bunfight that Slugfest has mentioned is as good a reason as any for Air Services to tell ICAO "Nope sorry, not happening - need more time."

This is a "Safety First" industry, not the "Chuck it in there and then work it out as we go" fun we've just had over the last few days. Maybe this is one of the reasons GR did a runner a few months ago?