PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thrust to flare?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2012, 10:45
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by captjns
I loved every hour of my 5,000 hours as a skipper of best airplane Boeing built (MHO of course). I sure miss my F/E too. But life goes on.

The 727-100 series does not need the punch of thrust beforetouchdown as the stretched 727-200 needs. The -100 series is an extremely well balance jet aerodynamically speaking. Like a light twin one can chop the power,flare and make a normal landing within the 1,000’ runway markings with consistency.

The 727-200 has much different characteristics during theespecially during the last 50' of the landing phase. If one flares the jet withback pressure, the mains will be driven onto the runway as the center of liftis forward of the mains. It’s takes acoordinated effort to make a proper landing… a punch of thrust to help check the decent, and actually abit of forward pressure to ensure a nice touch down. No float and always within 500’ of the 1,000’marker. A nice feature about the 727 is when the power comes off thejet does not float like the 737.
I used the same technique with airports with 5,300’ runways inthe Caribbean and Tegucigalpa before they blew off the top of the mountain southRunway 02 which now has about 5,500’ of useable runway beyond the threshold.

That said, Stilton, many -200 drivers and MD80/90 pilots may not agree with your assertion.
The 727-200 does not need a burst of thrust in the flare. I have heard of this technique and it may work, but it can be landed just fine by doing a normal approach and landing(admittedly mine were all flaps 30). Bring the thrust off in the flare. Seem to remember that it was at about the 20 foot autocall. Most landings were decent, some were firm and some were greasers. Some guys flared and then pushed a bit, some on occasion just gave a forward push on a short runway(good for spot landing but you knew when you touched down). Sometimes just a normal bit of a pull worked as well.

It certainly was not a requirement to add a burst of power to get a normal landing with flaps 30.

Last edited by JammedStab; 3rd Nov 2012 at 10:48.