PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Nelson Dash Noeswheel Report
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2012, 00:11
framer

Received 480 Likes on 129 Posts
The pilots said that they had had enough fuel to go around again. Had they done so, one would expect that they would have asked the controller to report the nose landing gear position, as the first officer had earlier suggested they do.

4.39. Had the controller said that the nose landing gear did not appear to be down, the pilots would have realised that the aural warnings were genuine. It would then have been logical for them to disregard the (false) green verification lights and go back to the “Landing gear fails to extend” checklist. This would have directed them to perform the alternate extension procedure. However, as mentioned above, that procedure would have been unlikely to succeed in this case, because the actuator was jammed.
It seems to me this investigator is giving his opinion of how he might have liked the situation to play out. An opinion formed from a comfy chair with months to assess. I could do the exact same thing....in fact I think I will;

"Had the manufacturer run a thorough risk analysis procedure when relocating the taxi light from the external nose cone to the landing gear strut, they most likely would have determined that the light sensing verification system was no long appropriate. Having realised that the system was no longer appropriate, it would have been logical for the manufacturer to re design the verification system or alternatively, reconsider the relocation of the taxi light.
ZK-NEB had been investigated for landing gear malfunctions twice in the 5 weeks preceding the accident flight. No fault was found on either occasion and the aircraft was returned to service. Had the airlines maintenance system been capable of identifying trends of unresolved malfunctions it is logical to presume that further analysis of ZK-NEB would have resulted in the faulty actuator being replaced."

I'm not suggesting that what I've just written is better than the report, I am suggesting that it is the same as what the Investigator has done. Had X happened, then Y would logically follow, and Z would be the outcome.