PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA (=More Hours at Work)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2012, 21:30
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I repeat a post of many years ago, and it is still relevant. In various airlines over the years, as duty times got worse & worse in the search of profit, I challenged the financial director and D.Ops, rostering boss and anyone else to work my roster in their cosseted offices. They have radios, Tv, coffee machines, can walk about and chat to friends, take lunch breaks in the park, relax and perhaps achieve 5 hours work out of an 8hr day. All they had to do was work my roster for 1 week to understand what I was talking about. Nobody ever took the challenge. They refused out of fear and thus remain ignorant about what they preach. Nuff said.
In my job, over 37 years, I report for duty, sign in and prepare a flight. I prepare the a/c and then fly the duty. I then close down the flight. At no time, except for perhaps 15 minutes during the turn rounds, am I not performing my duty and being alert and focused; up to 13 hours day/night with time zone changes. There is no lunch break with exercise; there is no stop for a chat by the coffee m/c; there is no radio to soften the background; there is no internet to browse and spend a few moments relaxing, etc. etc. I do not bemoan or regret my career, but I do get mighty pissed off by the desk jockeys and ignorant plonkers telling me they're going to make my life even worse and make their nest better feathered. And don't anyone tell me I should not have taken the job, ands say I knew what I was getting into. That is pure B.S. Over a 37 year career it has changed out of all recognition. It was not to be foretold that it would deteriorate to this level. Hence I baled out. DO NOT LET IT BECOME WORSE. Good luck guys.