PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to know if you can make required climb gradient?
Old 2nd Nov 2012, 12:46
Zeffy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Zeffy

Yes it is indeed the aircraft I am currently flying. And yes, before I accept a SID that requires a specific climb gradient I look at my performance charts which tell me at what weight I can take off on that day at that airport and meet that climb gradient with OEI. And yes it takes into account the 10 minutes max at TOGA on the operating engine(s). I don't want to sit here and argue whether Terps is AEO, because that is not what I meant in my previous post. All I am saying is that if you accept a SID and there are obstacles that you need to avoid and you enter IMC then you lose an engine, your aircraft better be able to meet that SID gradient or you may find yourself face to face with a piece of granite. I'm not sure what kind of corporate flying you did before you retired but I know my principles don't want me "rolling the dice" and hoping we don't have an engine failure after V1 in mountainous terrain and can't avoid the "obstacle".
Hello g450cpt --

The five years previous to retirement were spent "toiling" in the cockpit of an F900EX EASy, so essentially the same avionics as you're currently flying in the G450.

Our principals also desired to operate at very high levels of safety and for that reason the services of a Performance Engineering company (APG) were engaged. A runway analysis was provided for each and every takeoff, irrespective of wx conditions or terrain environment.

It is unfortunate that so many of us corporate aviators had been inculcated by our schoolhouses with well-intended but (now) undeniably incorrect information about takeoff performance planning. However, there are no longer any acceptable excuses for the promulgation of bogus information.

As richjb has noted
This OEI takeoff obstacle avoidance analysis is not a pilot function. The FAA fully expects this analysis to be performed by a trained performance engineer or furnished through a performance engineer services provider, both of which should have the requisite training and airport & obstacle data resources to complete this analysis.
The signal/noise ratio here on PPRunNe has its variations and aberrations, but there are a number of highly respected experts on here -- e.g., richjb, aterpster, john_tullarmarine, mutt, old smokey -- who can provide a wealth of information on topics like these.

If your training provider is still teaching that pilots are capable of using the AFM charts to roll their own analyses, consider asking them for a refund. They are wrong.

I would respectfully refer you to a web page and article recently posted by NBAA:
Aircraft Climb Performance

The APG web site offers descriptions of a number of products, including Runway Analysis deliverable on an iPad. Their video library may also be of interest to you.

best,

Z

Last edited by Zeffy; 2nd Nov 2012 at 12:47.