PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAS Bankrupt? Say it ain't so......
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2012, 10:42
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't accuse the Govts of helping SAS, although all my Scandinavian colleagues are always telling me how they resent that their taxes have been spent propping up SAS for decades.

When you have spent all of the family "Silver" (SAS Flight Academy/ Radisson Hotels etc) & there is a very large bill hanging in the air (pension fund) & when you can no longer borrow funds to replace gas guzzling dinosaurs (MD's) let alone retro-fit winglets to your Boeings, that sounds awfully like "bankrupt" by any normal fiscal definition of the word. No capital/lots of debt/no collatoral to borrow more.

As a "non Nordic" outsider, I rely heavily on what my Scandinavian colleagues have led me to believe, and that appears to be that the only thing preventing SAS being declared bankrupt is the unpalatable social/political consequences resulting from a "reality check" on the part of the 3 Govts, and their unwillingness to undertake this "check".
Whilst this continues you stagger along @ 1.3Vs, the day it all becomes "too much" the stick pusher will activate.
I don't gloat over this fact, far from it, as we are all in varying depths of cr@p in this industry, but I believe we should not deny that it is indeed a (harsh) fact. Don't shoot the messenger.