PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Nelson Dash Noeswheel Report
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2012, 10:39
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rmcdonal

Interestingly the message being pushed by CASA (I realise this is a NZ incident) is exactly the opposite, CAR215 would hold the AOC holder accountable for not enforcing a strict adherence to the approved manual.
Does any approved manual over there explicitly prohibit a low-level flypast for the purpose of inspecting an undercarriage?

Haughtney1

Remoak old chum, this is straight out of a JAR Ops 1 and I'm assuming EASA compliant OMA.
Yes mate but we don't live in EASA land, we live in NZ and over here it is actively encouraged, at least by Airways...

At this point there has been no reference to the operators operations manual as to whether a flypast is recommended or even allowable in this circumstance (please don't hit me with the airmanship argument...these days it's about avoiding culpability...which is why even QRH's are written the way the are)
Well... please explain the difference between an approach followed by a missed approach, and a low approach and overshoot? it's the same thing, the only difference is what you call it. Declare that you are carrying out the appropriate approach and go around at DA/MDA... you achieve the same thing and nobody can criticise you, far less prosecute you. However you CAN be blamed (and prosecuted) if you do not take all steps available to you to resolve any ambiguity in what your aircraft is telling you, when the next thing that happens is an accident. It's called "duty of care" and is something all aircraft commanders should be intimately acquianted with. Just think for a minute... what would have happened if the Dash had unexpectedly veered off the runway following a nose gear indication issue, and people had been hurt? Which is exactly what happened to an ATP a few years back in Edinburgh. I'll think you'll find the captain would have been in a world of hurt, irrespective of what the manual might say.

I might be old-school, but airmanship rules and culpability can take a hike...

Flt.Lt Zed

The DASH 8 diverted from Nelson 50 miles away due weather.Maybe the cloudbase and visibility were too low for a fly by ?
If the weather is too bad for a low approach/overshoot, it's also too bad to make an approach... in any case, I was inbound to WB at the time this was happening and the wx wasn't that bad.