PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying instructor jobs
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2012, 10:16
Clare Prop

Received 242 Likes on 111 Posts
I'm sure you didn't want to Instruct forever. Why did you become an instructor? Answer Honestly now

How can you be so sure? Would you say the same thing to a school teacher/driving isntructor/diving instructor etc etc? That they must only be doing it because they couldn't get a "proper" job?

I've been instructing and examining for 22 years and 11,000 hours because it is a career path I deliberately chose, not because nothing "better" came along. If you do the job well you can make a good living out of it. If you just want to milk students to fill up your log book, don't expect to get any satisfaction out of it. And don't think that won't be glaringly obvious in a job interview.

Not all of us want to fly shiny jets, I think it would be a horrible way to make a living and I know a lot of people who have gone down that path and wish they hadn't, for career, family and financial reasons.

And I certanly didn't get into this career because of any emotive sentiments like "love" "dream" and "passion" which belong in people's love lives, not their professional lives!

Last edited by Clare Prop; 2nd Nov 2012 at 10:18.