PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norfolk Island Ditching ATSB Report - ?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2012, 09:25
Lookleft

Received 199 Likes on 94 Posts
I think most folk would agree that the PIC made a bunch of bad decisions, given a crappy hand that he was dealt, and even still he pushed on. And then failed to make some resourceful decisions like trying other options. Running low on fuel doing VOR's that don't work?

The definition of stupidity is to keep doing what you are doing expecting a different result. A VOR 04 or RNAV on any other would have been straight down the runway not a kilometre misaligned. He could have made a scary but illegal landing, even covered it up, and not had a crash. Maybe the good of this is his crash will affect change.So as you say, he may have made a blue, and the system he was part of was very much an equal part,
I have gone out on a limb and said before if I were to guess the blame portions, 20% CASA, 40% Pelair and 40% PIC. You are quite correct, it was not 100% Dominic, I agree, but he had 100% of the opportunity to stop the BS when he awoke from his hotel room.
Dunno about most folk but I couldn't have put it better myself Jaba (although I did have a go on this thread). I do accept however that the report is defective in a lot of areas but if you apply the substitution test would a different crew have achieved the same result?

Last edited by Lookleft; 2nd Nov 2012 at 09:28.