PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to know if you can make required climb gradient?
Old 2nd Nov 2012, 03:15
g450cpt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Climb Performance

@Zeffy

Yes it is indeed the aircraft I am currently flying. And yes, before I accept a SID that requires a specific climb gradient I look at my performance charts which tell me at what weight I can take off on that day at that airport and meet that climb gradient with OEI. And yes it takes into account the 10 minutes max at TOGA on the operating engine(s). I don't want to sit here and argue whether Terps is AEO, because that is not what I meant in my previous post. All I am saying is that if you accept a SID and there are obstacles that you need to avoid and you enter IMC then you lose an engine, your aircraft better be able to meet that SID gradient or you may find yourself face to face with a piece of granite. I'm not sure what kind of corporate flying you did before you retired but I know my principles don't want me "rolling the dice" and hoping we don't have an engine failure after V1 in mountainous terrain and can't avoid the "obstacle".

Last edited by g450cpt; 2nd Nov 2012 at 03:16.