PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 10
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2012, 00:27
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once and once only on this issue:

Originally Posted by CONF iture
Too bad your references are based on cvr, just not fdr.
DFDR matches CVR. If you are referring to Ray Davis's independent reading of the FDR, he was not experienced in dealing with the new digital models, and got it wrong.

From the document posted by Franzl months ago : http://www.crashdehabsheim.net/Rapport%20Airbus.pdf

Mr. Davis was apparently not aware of the convention (which is apparently unique to France) that requires that the transcripts of forward accelerations are shown with a negative sign. [He is] therefore claiming that in the last seconds the negative acceleration shown in the transcript demonstrates that the aircraft was decelerating and therefore one or both engines were not providing sufficient thrust.
The flight recorders did not stop instantaneously at Habsheim. In the final report produced by the Commission of Inquiry it clearly states that -after the first impact with the trees, the CVR continued to operate for around 1.5 seconds and then stopped. The DFDR continued to operate
for around one second [after impact] then gave incoherent data for around two seconds". The exact cause as to why the recorders stopped almost simultaneously before the aircraft finally came to rest could not be determined. The most probable cause is that the power supply cables of the two recorders broke.
Originally Posted by CONF iture
His intention was to disable A/THR but did he do it ?
NO

When he was going to do it at time 12 41 58 he was distracted or interrupted by a landing gear issue.
I realise anecdote is not the plural of data but this supposition is a hell of a stretch. I doubt very much that a human being confidently in charge of a machine will immediately stop what they are doing on the basis of a distraction. For example, if applying the brakes when driving and you see an accident in the opposite lane, you may turn to look, but that does not mean you will stop applying the brakes.

Thirty seconds on a disconnect switch is a long period.
The disable trigger is at 15 seconds though (FCOM DSC-22 30-90 P 5/12).

Dozy does not read French
Not fluently, but my wife does - and I have a dictionary.

Anyway - pointless distraction, this is about AF447, not AF296 (which I'm sure would be more than welcome on the AH&N forum if you've been having trouble starting a thread on the subject, CONF...)

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 1st Nov 2012 at 00:27.