PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying a Cub - tips?
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2012, 09:23
Fitter2

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Compleat

Are there no scholars here? In the 17th Century, when spelling was optional (Shakespeare spelt his own name in several different ways) Izaak Walton wrote 'The Compleat Angler' on the art of fishing with rod and line. In homage to that book, subsequently many authoratitive volumes on any subject have adopted the spelling to indicate that the book was as complete as possible, and intended to make the reader aware of the need to understand all aspects of their craft.

Now, taildraggers. I did a quick conversion from glider pilot to PPL on a J-3 Cub, and power solo after less than two hours, and a PPL with seven hours total (all J-3 apart from a 20 minute spinning session in a Pup 100 on the flying tests. Of the next 1000 hours, over 900 were taildraggers of various sorts including J-3, PA28-95 (ex-French military, I believe) and Super Cub 150 and 180. The Cub variants and the Chipmunk are as docile as tail draggers get, and a good introduction to proper use of rudder near or on the ground. My take on crosswind landings is that a three-point landing is tricky in a steady crosswind and impossible in a gusting one; wheeling it on a few knots above the stall and immediately raising the flaps almost always resulted in a tidy arrival.

If you get the opportunity to fly a tailwheel Cessna 180, or better still a Harvard once you are confident with the Cub, it's fun, and a chance to put skills into practice.