PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collective Colour Vision Thread 4
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2012, 07:13
dobbin1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instrument Rating for CVD Pilots

EASA have published this comment response document about the proposed en-route and modular Instrument Ratings:-
http://hub.easa.europa.eu/crt/docs/viewcrdpdf/id_135

Buried inside is this:-
12. The Agency received a reasonable number of comments proposing the review of FCL.610 ‘IR — Prerequisites and crediting’ in order to solve the issue of pilots not being able to obtain a night rating (i.e. due to non-compliance with the colour vision requirements in Part-MED) but wishing to attain the EIR or IR. This issue was further evaluated together with the Review Group. Based on these discussions and the fact that ICAO SARPs do not require a night rating as a prerequisite for the IR, the Agency decided to keep the proposed route to allow a day-EIR without any link to the night rating but to also allow EIR operations by night if the required night rating is held. As a logical consequence of this decision the text in FCL.610(a)(1)(i) for the IR was also amended in order to clarify that a night rating according to FCL.810 is only required if the privileges of the IR will be exercised at night. However, it should be highlighted that current medical requirements for IFR flying in Part-MED will be reviewed in order to verify the impact on medical issues related to this decision.
This is good news I think, although the TK requirements for either of these qualifications remain onerus and are likley to deter all but the most dedicated of PPLs. The UK IMCr (or IR(R) as it is known under EASA) is more attainable and has never required a night qualification. We should continue to lobby for it to be issued after the current cut off date in 2014.

Last edited by dobbin1; 31st Oct 2012 at 12:38.