PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skill Test in India before Conversion of Licence
Old 31st Oct 2012, 06:28
K.O.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Letter to the DGCA

Hey Guys,

I wrote a letter to the DGCA a couple days ago to clarify some of the topics we have been discussing here. I find that although we all get replies to the questions we ask here, they aren't necessarily always the best or most informed answers. I have gone out on a limb to seek answers from the "horses mouth" as it were. This way, we will all be able to proceed without needing a second opinion or sifting though 5 separate PM's which have conflicting information. One answer, one question, no doubt. If you have any additional questions, I encourage you to write to the Training and Licensing or CEO Departments of the DGCA as I have done, and post both your questions and their replies on this thread. I will post their reply when I get it. Remember, there are always people who have the same questions as you and need answers just as badly. Persistance is the key to getting the DGCA to reply; an email every 3 days from me has worked well in the past. Here's the email I wrote them.

October 26th, 2012

To the Official in Charge at the Office of Training and Licensing,
DGCA, New Delhi

Dear Sir,

I would like to take this opportunity to ask a few questions to which I have been unable to find the answer to on either of the DGCA websites or the Internet. I hope you will be willing and able to help me resolve these matters.

1.) I would like to enquire whether it would be possible for your department to look through my logbook and inform me how many of my previous flying hours count toward the conversion of my foreign CPL to the Indian DGCA CPL. I would like to do this now rather than at the time of final submission of all my documents, so that there are no delays in the process later. I could very easily send you, via speed post, a copy of my logbook. I could send a copy of each page, or just the first and last pages, whichever you require. I also find it difficult to interpret correctly the “Guidelines for Conversion of Professional Pilot’s Licenses issued in ICAO contracting States into Indian Professional Pilot’s License (Commercial Pilots License)”, as they are quite different than those I have been trained on previously.

2.) In an attempt to clear up my confusion about the “Guidelines for Conversion of Professional Pilot’s Licenses issued in ICAO contracting States into Indian Professional Pilot’s License (Commercial Pilots License)” previously mentioned, I have copied parts of the PDF herein with my questions listed below each item number; please refer to part (A) and (B) of FCL1_2012.pdf on the DGCA website, "dgca.nic.in/circular/FCL1_2012.pdf".

Part (A) Questions

a) “Valid foreign Professional Pilot’s License + get verification of license and ratings endorsed on license released to DGCA on e-mail [email protected] from issuing State.”

Question: I have a valid foreign Professional Pilot’s License but could you please inform by what method I am to get verification released to the DGCA? The term “issuing State” is used often; does this refer to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)?

b) “Valid foreign Class-I Medical Assessment from State of issue”.

Question: I have a valid FAA Class 1 medical, but it was not issued with additional paperwork. What does “Assessment” mean? Does this imply blood tests, eye exam results, ENT results etc? Is verification required from the FAA? I could easily get a letter issued by my AME from Florida stating the date of the exam and the “Fit” result.

c) “Authenticated Log book of a period of at least preceding 5 years, which must include information regarding dates, aircraft type (single/Multi) and registration, crew status (PIC, dual etc.), total time, Sectors, Departure-arrival times, day & Nights, X-country flights, instrument time (actual, simulated in aircraft), simulator flying (separately logged). All the entries must be verified by the appropriate authority in the State of Issue of foreign license”.

Question: I have a logbook that has been authenticated on the last page by the Chief Pilot of my University; Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. Is my Chief Pilot an “appropriate authority in the State of Issue of foreign license” according to the DGCA? Secondly, in this item, Part (A) Item 3, of the PDF document the words used in reference to logbook authentication is “a period of at least preceding 5 years”, whereas on the third page (flow chart) the words used in reference to flying requirements under the first sub-header are “Within 5 years”. My question is whether the DGCA considers legitimate the flying hours earned more than five years before the application date? Additionally, sectors and departure-arrival times are not recorded in my logbook, only the airports I flew to in sequence and the date of the flight.

d) “Statement of 20 Hrs of PIC Cross-country flights / 50 Hrs PIC cross-country flights if IR is also requested. (a flight to a point beyond a radius of one hundred nautical miles from the aerodrome of departure)”.

Question: The term “Statement of…” is used often as well. What does this mean? Is an entry made in my logbook sufficient, or would the DGCA require a letter from my flight school verifying all the flying hours in my logbook?

e) “For Multi endorsement on CPL at the time of issue: Please ensure you possess same multi on foreign license and the which is available with valid C of A in India. Please produce at least 10 hrs (4 day + 3 night + 1hr day test + 1hr night test + 1hr IR test) of flight training on that multi engine aircraft -and within 6 months General flying test by day and Night with three PIC take off and landings each, and for IR on multi, IR test report with two approaches on that aircraft for which multi -endorsement on license is requested”.

Question: The terms “test”, “flying test” and “skill test” are used in several cases. Is there any difference between them? Could you please define them for me?

Part (B) Questions

a) “Applicants need to do in India before submission of application:-

(iv) A cross-country flying test by night consisting of a flight of not less than one hundred twenty nautical miles returning to the place of departure without landing elsewhere and Instrument Rating test (if IR desired) from an approved Flying training institute in India. In case CPL is requested only on Multi engine aircraft then skill tests on the said type will be carried out in India”.

Question: I would like to clarify whether the 120NM cross country flight must have only one landing, at the airport of departure, or only two landings, one at the airport not less than 120NM away and one at the departure airport.

b) “Fees Rs. 5000 for each issue and Rs 5000 for each aircraft endorsements/ rating to be submitted in the form of Bank Draft Payable to PAO, DGCA, Ministry of Civil Aviation, New Delhi”.

Question: Could you please break down the fee structure for me? As far as I understand, it is Rs. 5000 for issue of Indian CPL, Rs. 5000 for issue of Single Engine rating, Rs. 5000 for issue of Instrument rating - Single Engine, Rs. 5000 for issue of Instrument rating- Multiengine, and Rs. 5000 for issue of Multi-Engine, which equals Rs. 25,000 in total. Is that correct?

3.) I have earned my CPL/Multi-Engine/IR from the USA, and I would like to do my recency (within 6 months) flying hours in a privately owned aircraft, licensed and registered in Canada. Would this be possible? If not, what endorsements for the aircraft do I need to obtain? Please note this aircraft has been used and insured by Transport Canada for flight training purposes. It is my understanding that I am able to do my multi engine flight checkride outside India, but that I must do my single engine checkride at a flight school in India; is this correct?

4.) My final question is what documentation will I be required to submit as proof of my PIC flying hours if I am a CFI flying solo or with a student pilot providing “dual” time to the student? Is my logbook sufficient?

I would like to thank you for your help in resolving these questions. Your team of dedicated individuals has been especially helpful to me thus far and I look forward to working effectively with your department. I also look forward to your informative email.

Thank you once again,

Yours Sincerely.