PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea heli ditching: Oct 2012
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2012, 20:25
Peter PanPan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parallel to the S-92 Cougar crash

FH1100 Pilot prophetically wrote on 26th November 2011 concerning the S-92 Cougar crash:

"Well of course the S-92's airworthiness certificate should have been revoked following the Cougar crash! Of course. That's not even in question anymore.

SAC managed to convince the FAA guy (whose name we don't need to mention because everyone already knows who signed-off on it) that the ONLY possible source of a leak of transmission oil would be the lines leading to the oil cooler. Filter won't/can't leak...driveshaft inputs can't leak...the mast seal can't leak...the list goes on!

And the (unnamed) FAA guy said, "Yup, I agree!" But if they were using the S-92 design to justify that "extremely remote" crap, they had no historical base to draw from. If they (SAC) were using an industry-wide base for loss of transmission oil, they STILL were not on solid ground, because such things happen more than extremely remotely. (Admittedly they don't happen often, but "extremely remote" is a defined term.) SAC took the awkward wording of section 29.927(c)(1) and used it to their financial advantage.

So no, the S-92 does not IN FACT meet the requirements of FAR part-29 when it comes to the transmission. I would venture to say that there is no helicopter in existence that would qualify under that "extremely remote" clause. Why do we care? Because when you design an aircraft that's going to take LOTS of people out over some very inhospitable parts of the earth, then you are - and should be - held to a higher standard.

We know now that the S-92 transmission cannot withstand a complete loss of oil. Sikorsky admitted that their testing showed (and Cougar proved in the field) that you get "about" ten minutes of run time with no oil. This is undisputed. What's truly disturbing to me is that so few people seem to care. Pilots in particular are so very cavalier about this, as if it's a trivial or inconsequential point. It boggles my already-feeble mind.

What it boils down to is that it would have been economically unfeasible, unrealistic and unreasonable to summarily ground the S-92 fleet and force Sikorsky to redesign the transmission. Passenger safety takes a back seat to money. It's not the first time this has happened in aviation. Shamefully, it probably won't be the last. Personally, I think we owe the paying passengers - and the pilots who fly them! - more than that...better than that.

I mean, why have rules at all if exemptions and "work-arounds" are allowed and applied so freely?"

Are we facing a similar situation with Eurocopter and its EC225 this time?