PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hurricane Sandy shuts down East Coast US
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2012, 13:01
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Btw, I have landed a 172 in 45 kts. The landing was uneventful, but the taxi to the stand was, errrrr, interesting. Both myself and the a/c lived to tell the tale, though

If that had been a cross wind on the duty runway and a major airport, and possibly 55kts, you could have landed on a very short, very wide runway. But your correct, the cross wind taxi would have been challenging.

Speaking of windy landings: there was a case at BHX years ago with a local crew B732. The cross wind on RW34 was challenging. They did the math and decided it was strong enough to land on the short cross RW24. Trouble was the next flight was going to TFS and needed RW33 for TODA, but the wind was out of limits. Solution was to ferry from RW24 to EMA and bus the pax there. Ops were not pleased not be consulted first because they would have advised a diversion there in the 1st place. Landing at destination might not always be deemed to best logistical solution. And if the ducks & gulls are on the ground it is food for thought.