PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND - 3 The new beginning
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2012, 12:47
Barnaby the Bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree LTNman, its seems any mention of a London Airport on a website and its automatically SEN.
But then again if people are talking about the Airport in those terms can only help raise the profile.
I also agree 2m is probably going to be achieved long before 2020, and mostly through EZY with others such as REA even perhaps OLT and TUI contributing a smaller no less important contribution.
Southend is always going to be limited by space, the terminal and Section106 movement restrictions will only allow for so much growth. At no point would/could Southend compete on passenger numbers with Luton, Stansted etc.
They can compete easily on the customer experience, which is already getting good reviews.
With Stobart providing the retail, accomodation and ground services on this scale, and in house, they are able to maximise the returns at the same time.
Pushing ahead with the extended terminal is desperately needed in order to keep and enhance the experience... That begins next month.
Routes/operators will come and go and i suspect passenger numbers may even nudge above 2m... Hopefully the corporate market may become better exploited with heavy mx continuing to play an important part at Southend.

They'll still be something to talk about for years to come... Though I suspect immediate media focus will be more on which of the larger 'London' Airports will get the extra tarmac...including Luton.