PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Moving to the USA
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2012, 12:05
Tinstaafl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I came to the US via a fiance visa. I think it took about 5 months to get, with a huge amount of paperwork, some money & an interview. Once in the States you have a limited period in which to marry. After marriage you then have to apply to adjust your status to permanent resident ('green card'). That took a between 1.5 - 2 years. Possibly a bit over two years from marriage to green card. In the meantime you can apply & pay for a temporary work permit which must be renewed annually. You aren't permitted to leave the country - or, more accurately, can't without it affecting your permanent residency application - unless you apply & pay for an 'advance parole'. This lets you leave and, importantly, re-enter the US while your green card application is being processed. It too must be renewed annually.

One slight benefit, due to the time it took for the application to adjust status to be approved, was that my green card was issued for 10 years instead of the usual 2 years or so. As it turned out, being married for more than a certain qualifying period removes the tempory green card step.

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 30th Oct 2012 at 12:47.