PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Poor guys, never stood a chance
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2012, 10:23
barnstormer1968

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daddy

Your reply may be doing you no credit.

I don't know who Vin Rouge was implying started the camps, but I was about to type a similar reply!

It is very easy to wriggle out of the concentration camp debate by blaming a whole nation, but maybe Vin Rouge was singling out one man, and then the relevance becomes clear.

From memory the pre industrial revolution British camps had 78.000-80.000 deaths, so you would appreciate that if they were larger, and lasted as long as the Nazi camps, then the figure would be higher.

Being a Brit myelf, I am sure you will also know that the RAF were also very aware of whom and how many people were in the labour camps....And knew what would happen to them.

I'm sure you also know that the 'founder of concentration camps' was also well aware of many Nazi concentration camp activities, and is well documented in his attitude to the inhabitants (so nothing for you or I to be proud of there!)

Just as an anecdote: About once a month I drive along a road where a He 111 was shot down in WW2. The crew survived and were surrounded by the local home guard unit and some farm workers with pitch forks etc. The home guard held the crew until a regular army unit arrived, BUT the farmers wife of the farm they crashed on could see just how young and terrified the crew were (one was 17), and she refused to let the soldiers take them until she had made them a cup of tea!

Courtney Mil

Can I question something you said.
You mention not wanting anyone of your side worrying if the other bloke has a chance, but can we see that a bit differently please?
If you had been soaring about in your F3 and came across some hostile intruders I would have hoped you would have downed them as soon as possible, and in a way that gave them as little chance as possible.....A fair fight is for film and TV, not real life.
But, that does not mean you needed to be happy in killing other humans, or to wish their end was painful etc. I would have seen your job as stopping their weapons platform, which in reality could do more damage than a few pink fleshy bodies.