PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - University Tuition Fees - a pilot's view?
Old 22nd Jan 2003, 09:36
GeneralMelchet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find it difficult to justify fees for further education when I got a grant and my fees paid when I went to college.

The current problem is due to the government policy of sending almost everyone to university - regardless to their suitability or desire to be there.If you look at school exams these days and see how hard it is to actually to fail anything.Everyone must have a qualification (regardles of its value) and there is no effort at school to find out where people real talents or desires are.Universities on the other hand have had to lower standards to let people in.This devalues the whole system and we will lose hugely talented people who cannot afford or are scared off by the thought of huge debts.

There is very little alternative for kids these days.Vocational training is under resourced and very few companies offer apprenticeships.

The real question is how do we provide this country with a plentyful supply of tradespersons and other skills and allow those who want to attend Uni do so without generating a mortage before you even start work.

I know for a fact if I had to pay fees and living costs I wouldn't have gone to college and wouldn't have the job I have today and wouldn't have paid the taxes to the Chancelor that have more than covered the costs.