PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MMMmmmiles Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2003, 09:04
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maggie/ Falcon

Damien B -

The proposed change relates purely to the registration.

V1075 was one of the last machines off the line and - as such - had bare legs and was painted in camouflage.

It is thus not historically accurate in its present, handsome yellow scheme.

However, mounting evidence of a more correct identity - N3733 - is emerging all the time.

In the 50's, the fuselage and lots of other airframe bits were changed following a crash. THe widely held view today - shared by me also - is that the identity of an aircraft should relate to the fuselage.

It retained its G-AKPF (previously V1075) identity purely because that was the reg on the CofA. This followed through to the present day.

Nothing - save for a few bits and pieces maybe - survive of the original V1075 - the wings were changed during its protracted restoration too.

The thing was basically a waterlogged, wingless hulk in the 60's when it was rescued and bought for fifty quid.

I think it is now time to ask the CAA if they mind -under the current Display of Military Marks exemption - if it is changed.

N3733 was a much earlier 1938 machine and correctly wore the yellow scheme.

My personal view is that whilst the Maggie looks pretty dull with bare legs and in camouflage, the pre-war trainer scheme is MMMmmm lovely.

Stand the 2 together at Shuttleworth and they could be mistaken at first glance for 2 completely different machines.

If they were a couple of girlies, you would try to pull the yellow one any day!

So - Damien B. Have no fear. It won't be grey!It will wear its correct identity and thus wear the correct paint scheme too.

Maybe time to look up and apply the myriad of stencils to it as well.

I reckon they must have had an army of 'stencil bods' in those days!

Lastly - wouldn't it be nice to see a Maggie in a civvy scheme?

The fuselage I have mentoned earlier has a wonderful post-war racing history. Photos at the time - I have one on my office wall - are of a very handsome aircraft indeed.

I think that the opportunity exists for just one more Maggie rebuild from bits. The costs would be ridiculous though, especially when there are people bent on profiteering from our aviation heritage - 'Tricky Bob' for one - and rendering such projects even less viable by the day.

atb 1943 - The Falcon still has a matt black strip between screen and prop. I don't think that its removal would cause any problems. However, I have no plans to repaint the aircraft. I think Tim Moores scheme - though without any historical connections whatsoever - looks great.

It was, without looking up the file - red fuz with cream wings when new.

I have details of all the schemes it wore from new, including details of the Swedish air taxi logos.

It is possible that we might see a series of artists impressions of them in the forthcoming Air Enthusiast feature. I am talking to Ken Ellis about this at the moment.

I can tell you now though that some of the Swedish pictures - especially the ones that show the aircraft on skis - are just wonderful so prepare yourselves for a treat!

Unlike the Maggie - the Falcon is a highly original aircraft. Most of what you see today left Woodley in 1936.

HP