PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swiss Cheese ASA Style
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2012, 00:42
Woodwork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not really going to remain here to trade blows - I've said my piece, and am happy if people want to look into it rationally and decide why they do or don't agree with me - but the first and last points from ferris there just can't be left alone.

As I have more than a passing acquaintance with the public health system, I reckon you'd be aghast if you knew how many "safety critical" things in your local hospital are being done by inexperienced, underqualified doctors; how long the nurse monitoring an intensive care patient with constant vigilance for any sign of destabilisation might have been on duty (hint: 24 hour might not be long enough); how many 2-hour operations the cardiovascular surgeon working on your Nanna might have done in a row before this one; and how many people are queuing at universities to hand over $40,000 or more to the government to do their 3-year nursing degree (or $200k or more for a five-year medicine degree) merely so they can be eligible for all this joy on a starting salary less than $50k.

None of this is forgivable or even acceptable, of course, but my point isn't that ASA is some cornucopia of luxury, simply that if you base your complaints to management (or the internet) on the idea that being an ASA employee is uniquely hard or oppressive, you won't make much traction beyond your immediate circle of peers.

That's all I mean to say, not to demean your grievances or argue with your experience.

Edit: typo

Last edited by Woodwork; 30th Oct 2012 at 00:43.