PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - University Tuition Fees - a pilot's view?
Old 22nd Jan 2003, 08:35
Lazlo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The public have to wake up and realise that this is the real world we are living in. Further education costs lots of money and someone has to pay for it. I think a subsidy is good and helpful as having an educated population does help make a prosperous nation, but to subsidise university at the enormous levels this government is doing (and still will be doing after these changes) is too much. The simple fact is that if university is too accessible and affordable then there will be so many graduates looking for jobs after they have their degrees that the actual value of the degree will be worthless.

The government took away the tiny subsidy they provided for flying training when they abolished the NVQ tax relief. This has meant that many pilots are in even more debt than before and for years to come (like myself - I have been employed as a pilot for many years now but still have to pay back loans which significantly affects my take-home pay).

Watch out though. If your kids want decide they want to become pilots and then the airlines decide they want pilots to have degrees as well as licences, then you really are screwed. This is the case in the US and Canada.

Lazlo