PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot arrested with gun (merged)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2003, 08:13
Heilhaavir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Con-pilot, without entering in a pro or con on arming pilots, I have to disagree with what you just wrote.
You WILL NOT be able to get on an El Al flight deck unless you blow the plane up. The whole bulkhead is bullet proof and there are double doors. My dad as well as his fellow crew members there, never needed to carry a gun with them and the last (serious) attempt to enter the cockpit with a gun and a hand grenade miserably failed after Capt Uri Barlev clicked the AP off and dove. Patrick Arguelo, the male terrorist, was shot dead by the sky marshall while Uri Cohen the purser tried to pin down Leila Khaled (the reknown female terrorist). Uri Cohen took 7 bullets and survived, the 707 landed safely in London (Sept 1970). I would not qualify the November 02 "attempt" on an El Al 757 as serious, but even there the poor guy was pinned down in a few seconds and the pilots never had to get involved.
Again my intent is not to start a thread on El Al security or the need for guns in cockpits. Just correcting con-pilot on his statement.
Con-pilot, if it was possible for the "bad guys" to gain access to your flight deck, your company got conned into buying the wrong doors ......

Pat

I forgot to mention that Khaled & Arguelo were never able to get through the cockpit doors, but I'm sure you understood.