PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice Please?
Thread: Advice Please?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2003, 07:24
mumraaa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice Please?

Hi,

I really want to be a flying instructor. I'm already a qualified Sailing/Windsurfing/Skiing/Swimming instructor and have taught these sports for most of my life until now. I passed my PPL last September and am desperately trying to get enough hours in order to take my CPL so that I can then get my FI rating.

Currently, I am working in IT (which I hate), in order to fund my flying. Several years back I signed up for a degree (mature student) in IT Business Information Systems, purely for the purpose of getting a job so that I could afford to fulfil a childhood ambition of learning to fly.

I have very clearly defined goals. I dont want to be an airline pilot, I want to teach people to fly. Teaching is something I love and am good at. Plus what better vocation than to help others achieve similar ambitions while fulfilling my own.

However, my problem is this:

1. Working in an office is driving me crazy. I hate it and it is starting to change my character.
2. Whilst my salary does keep me flying, I do need to rely on friends to come up with me and share the cost. I cant really afford to go up on my own. This presents a problem with practicising handling manouvres such as stalls, and engine failure, EFATOS etc etc etc. My passengers wouldnt really like to be in the plane during these exercises and the PA28 is not suitably balanced for stalling with rear passengers.

With 57 hours on the clock now, I have a long way to go before I can take my CPL. On my current salary I think this will take about 2-3 years, if I live on nodelle cuisine (noodles on toast).

Questions:

1. Are there any other routes into this profession? I understand I could be a FI without a CPL but will not be able to earn. This doesnt bother me as money isnt a motivator for me other than to help me fly.

2. Are there any schools or companies who would employ someone in return for hours flying. (I have some very valuable IT skills, and I am an excellent potential instructor with thousands of hours teaching sailing etc)!

Damn, my time has run out and I need to catch the train to Staines for a miserable day at Mordor. Any, advice would be most welcomed.

cheers