PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why does an aircraft take off?
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2012, 11:59
AirGek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I already said I'm not saying that we can ignore lift in a climb as it's unimaginable to think that thrust is the only way of climbing considering the attitudes we fly at.

This confirms it
For a transport airplane taking off at maximum weight, one engine inoperative, lift-off attitude about 10 degrees, the vertical component of thrust is about 2% of the weight.
From the bottom of my ignorance the first thing I did was to revert to the immage in my mind of an MD82 taking off, quite steep attitude, I think 20°. What will be the attitude at lift off, half that value?

With that picture in my mind, I found hard to think that lift, during lift off, would be greater than in level flight during cruise because of the negligible, as much as you want, help of the thrust vector.

Someone says that the reason for that answer is that at lift off is the moment of the flight where the aircraft weights more so this automtically leads to the conslusion that the lift is the gratest of all the flight.

It was the fact that the thrust vector was there, helping the "upward force" component that leads me to believe that this answer is not correct.