PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 29th Oct 2012, 07:31
disagreeable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dating the cabin crew have come up alot lately and have to add to this:

YOU WILL GET SACKED, if you screw the crew.... simple.
YES YOU CAN screw the crew, yes you can DATE the crew, but you have to be VERY low down on the whole thing, especially around other cabin crew, as alot have a telling the upper management streak (aka spies).... yes unfortunately they are usually indian, but can be others.

Its not like any western society/airline where they dont care.

As to the pilot/cabin crew getting married..... yes that is true but they had to keep their relationship very quiet for most of two years first.... then I believe that one of them will quit, leave, get married then come back into the country..... I think thats how it works....... either way, its not as simple as rocking up with your flight attendant girlie/wife2be on your arm when you go to work.... I hope people find it weird that you have to GET PERMISSION to get married from the CEO...... hmmmmm

apart from that, this place is a forum; those who shoot down others opinions of this place are being foolish.

QR is FULL of good AND Bad........ unfortunately more so of the later.
It is correct to say money is good here; But is it worth the frustration of dealing with incompetant staff on the backend, maybe not?..... half the time it wont effect you; but when it does its a pain to sort things out! that goes for Doha in general and for QR.

Money is not the only judge of if its good here though
.... and these issues have been said COUNTLESS times before in this thread..

I have many friends in Emirates, and to tell you the truth, it ****es all over QR, for one simple fact..... EVERYTHING works! Its set up to be easy for the crew/pilots...... driven to work, everything is at your fingertips when you walk into dispatch building (laundry, mail services, banking), the staff/crew website is just a dream with ability to do things that QR need 15 logins/websites for!
Yeah yeah, for those fan boys about to say go there instead.....dont worry

I'm trying to give you an idea of the difference between QR and other airlines so you can see normally not see in hope that taints you to reality here! Expect none of the smoothness of emirates/western airlines.

Some of the problems you will face is that training, especially for widebody is almost at a holt..... actually its the same for 320 as well.... if you come as a S/O..... (fast track or not) expect at least 10months minimum to be trained.... and thats being nice to QR!!!! (so if your a starry eyed, jets are my life guy, then you better be a rich arab or have some $$$$$ behind you b4 you come).

Maybe the numbers will pick up closer to the NDIA opening.

There is NO communication on alot of things here. And if they add something different, they wont advise you of where, so if you break a rule, you can get disciplined very easily without have much of a recourse because "you should have known"! Believe me, even if the office screws up there is a good chance you will cop a disipled letter.

Leave can get cancelled at anytime here; or given to you with not generally much of a recourse. So if you plan a holiday and pay for it.... then whamo.... too bad so sad.... "sorry captain"..... and thats even if they reply to your email or answer the phone.
This happens a fair amount and IS NOT a rare thing.

YES they do sack people. Good reasons and BAD reasons as well. Simple.... there is no union, no protection. But if you are a good mannered person it should, generally not be a problem explaining yourself, but good luck with that anyways.

Constantly changing SOP's are a problem... and so are alot of the OM manuals; for the most part they are ingrained in how you do the job, but they, especially for the guys on the 320, change almost every week. Nobody proof reads it before it comes out, and just as they fix some issues, only for other mistakes to come up.... its a shame, and really think at the end of the day, an unsafe practice which you have to question the mental grasp of the people approving this.
If anything, they need to employ a Aviation Tech writer to review all materials and remove ambiguity and other nonsense added in to really make it an easier sops/OM to learn..... hint hint

Yes the above guy is right..... But there is only just on 2000 pilots.... not 2500!
Attritionrate is HIGH..... almost at 8% by the change in joining numbers.
aka.... 40 777 F/O's went to a place across the water (is that making anyone think why???)
Many reasons for this; but mostly its a frustrating place to live if you need to get things done; the company can be frustrating, they generally dont communicate and its hard to get an answer for anything unless you go in and see somebody; and its kinda a boring place really..... in saying that, i dont mind it a little, but you always will be needing to get out of the place for a break!

Those on the hold file; I believe there is a thread for this as this is for people wanting to know about joining, not waiting.
But the good news for you is that yes, you prob will get called at some stage, expect those with alot of experience/typed to be called sooner (Jan-April '13) and those starry eyed jet job guys to be called later..... at least March '13 onwards.... If I were you, I would STAY in your current job until a firm offer came up or if another job that was good came up I would take that! Remeber, you may not even get called!
There is a good chance that it will take a LONG time between getting here and earning your $$$ so start saving as much as you can! your going to need at least 10k if your single and 20k if your married. Thats a good buffer against any unexpected costs which you DONT get told about at the interview.

ok, thats it for now.... remember, theres a good side, a bad side and the side that you dont expect!
Good luck!

Last edited by disagreeable; 29th Oct 2012 at 07:37.